Before & After 1960s bathroom

 

Occasionally, we receive before and after pictures of home renovations from clients. Below is information from a client who recently purchased a home with the assistance of Omaha Home Equity Group. They took on their bathroom renovation but wanted to keep the nature of the mid-century home. Here is what they told us:

“You may remember the 1960s blue tile in the bathroom? It all seemed in good order when I purchased the house, but looks can be deceiving. As I would clean it, the grout would fall out. After a couple of months attempting to replace the grout with caulk to see me through until I could figure out what to do, I got fed up. I’d noticed some potential moisture in the basement coming from the bathroom area, and it felt to me that the back wall was bowing out, I could push on tiles and there was quite a bit of giving and moisture showing up, and there was a cracked tile”

“Since we really want to keep the nature of the mid-century home, and the blue tile went all around the bathroom, and the toilet, sink, and tub were all blue, I had to figure out how to manage all this without taking down all 4 walls and replacing the tub/sink/toilet. We had been given this shower curtain when we moved in because it matched so well, and from it we developed an idea:”

“We decided that rather than demolish the entire bathroom, I would try to take down the tile carefully, with the hopes of saving enough of them to checkerboard it with a same size but different color tile. We chose lime green in accordance with the shower curtain. And then I started with the cracked tile, removed it, and saw what was behind those walls.”

“Mold, and in that area, the drywall was completely wet, and pasty. The smell was just awful.”

“I couldn’t have been happier at that point that I’d started. We took it down to the studs, and even the studs were moldy so I had to bleach them and wait a few days to allow them to dry out really well.”

“During that time, we spent our days boiling, then scraping the old rubber based adhesive off 1960’s blue tiles, then bleaching them. This took 4 days total, 2 of which were 7 hour days. It was not for the faint of heart. (Not a project I’d recommend unless someone was TRULY committed to their 1960s tile.) We got the new, proper, to code, backer board up and I waterproofed like a woman on a mission. I had no interest whatsoever in encountering a water problem in there again.”

“And then I got started!”

“Here’s all the tile up, with the transition to the blue only tile, but ungrouted:”

“Then grouted and painted the walls:”

“We also switched out the faucets for the tub, the hardware holding the plumbing lines in place had corroded through so we fixed that while we were at it, and put in a new light fixture over the sink. We MAY still add a recessed light over the bathtub, and I might even regrout the floor tile in the future, but we’ll call it good for now. THAT is how you keep the spirit of the 1960s home intact while updating a pretty serious problem.

I cannot imagine that there is ANYONE in the world happier in her home than I am. But this renovation stuff is a little too addicting, kitchen/dining room floor is next, and I am fairly determined to do it myself. It seems I’ve developed a new hobby.”

#welcomehomeomaha

new-header-logo

 

 

Advertisements