Most people love sleeping to the sound of rain but not if you have water problems in your home. Water issues can be caused by many factors. Here are some things to address around your house to decrease water problems:
- Are your gutters clean?
- Do you have the grade built up around your home (was this an item in your home inspection that you have not addressed yet?)
- Do you have extra long extensions on gutters?
- Do you have cracks in foundation that need to be sealed?
- Do you have a sump pump? Is it running correctly? Does it have an alarm in case it fails?
If you are tired of water in your house you can also call for waterproofing options. The following are some reputable companies in Omaha:
- BDB Waterproofing (402) 779-3165
- Jerry’s Basement Waterproofing (402) 392-2211
- Thrasher (402) 393-8803
Here are some more ways you can solve water problems on your own:
- Try a french drain – many landscaping companies can install these but you can also do this yourself.
Here’s how to do it:
- Dig a trench along the outside of your footing.
- Lay the pipe on the soil.
- Cover the pipe with at least 12 inches of washed gravel.
- Lay filter fabric over the gravel to prevent any soil from clogging the pipe.
- Back-fill the foundation with top soil back to its original grade height.
- Install a channel drain – if you have a driveway that slopes towards the house this might be your solution. Check out this Old House video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39FWbhqiSA
- Build a dry well
Use the slope of your yard and add curb appeal with a rock bed
Hope some of these ideas help waterproof your home!