Summer is coming which means more time outside and protecting ourselves from those pesky mosquitoes. If you are like us, you like relaxing on the patio in the evening but hate to get eaten up by mosquitoes. So we compiled a list of ways to get rid or at least reduce those mosquito bites. After combing through the internet, we put together a comprehensive list to reduce those pesky bites!
- Spray your yard with bug control spray – there are many brands at your local hardware store. The internet also has homemade natural outdoor sprays that you can try. Try this recipe at Frugal Homekeeping.
- Spray yourself with bug repellent
- Anything with DEET has been proven to be an effective way to get rid of mosquitoes. Wristbands are shown to be the most effective to repel mosquitoes
- Natural and Homemade – if you don’t like the idea of spraying chemicals then you can also try other natural products. Here is a recipe for a natural homemade bug spray. Skin So Soft also has a good reputation for keeping mosquitoes away.
2. Plants – try some of these plants in pots or in the ground
- Lemon Balm
- Lemon Thyme
- Citronella Grass
Below is a guide to planting a mosquito repellent pot on your patio
3. Use your firepit – the smoke from the firepit will keep the bugs away. Add some sage to your fire to help get rid of those bugs. You can make sage bundles to throw on top of the firepit or BBQ
4. Citronella – burn candles. Here is a DIY citronella candle tutorial
5. Bug Zappers- here are some updated bug zappers. Here is also a link to a homemade mosquito trap
6. Garlic – some people put garlic all around their yard and some take garlic supplements themselves to repel mosquitoes
7. Vics Vapor Rub – use Vics on your wrists and neck to repel mosquitos
8. Fans – keep the air flowing to get rid of mosquitoes